VMware Certification Program: Your Top-Notch Guide to Virtualization
Whether you are a newbie or an IT expert, VMware is dubbed as one of the finest providers in terms of Cloud infrastructure and virtualization. All VMware software and services are considered a standard in digital technology, hence making it very popular among the IT specialists.
Aside from being the first company to virtualize the significant x86 architecture, VMware has expanded its ability to test the knowledge and critical skills required by most enterprises with a wide range of outstanding certifications.
VMware Certification Levels
The VMware certification program covers a wide range of technology areas with several levels that will fit the needs of any IT professional. Thus, it has 4 levels of difficulty for the specialists with any knowledge base and technical background. They are the following:
- VCTA – VMware Certified Technical Associate. This is the Entry technical level that is perfect for literally any individual who is new to the sector. It is developed mostly for the future or current operators who know how to perform operational tasks that are typically delegated by the administrators of virtualized environments.
- VCP – VMware Certified Professional. This level is designed for those IT professionals who are skillful enough to manage, install, optimize, and configure VMware solutions. It is ideal for those individuals who are administrators or engineers or are planning to become one.
- VCAP – VMware Certified Advanced Professional.If you want to get more advanced skills and knowledge in this sphere, you can opt for this level. It is created for the engineers, administrators, and architects who know how to build and design VMware solutions as well as optimize and manage them.
- VCDX – VMware Certified Design Expert. This is the highest possible level of the certification program that you can go for. It is for those who can build, design, and manage VMware systems and solutions. This Expert level is considered only for the architects.
You need to understand that each level has the certificates from different tracks that cover various technical domains.
VMware Certification Tracks
If you look at the tracks that you can follow, there are 6 of them in total, and they consist of specific steps you need to take to be successful in this area. Thus, you can choose one of the following paths:
1. Data Center Virtualization (DCV)
The certifications from this track let the potential candidates assess their level of skills related to the management, installation, and design of VMware vSphere environments in a real-world environment. This path includes the following options:
- VMware Certified Technical Associate – Data Center Virtualization
The holder of this certificate can prove that they have a basic understanding of vSphere and virtualization concepts as well as knowledge of basic troubleshooting concepts and data center technology. After attending the training course, you should pass the 1V0-21.20 exam.
- VMware Certified Professional – Data Center Virtualization
This option validates your skills in implementing, managing, and troubleshooting vSphere infrastructure. You need to know how to use best practices to provide a flexible as well as secure foundation for business agility, which can accelerate the transformation to Cloud computing. The test that you need to pass is 2V0-21.20.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Data Center Virtualization Design
The path proves that you have the required knowledge of the end-user computing components and environments. If you are able to design and recommend VMware solutions that will meet the specific requirements and goals of the organization, you will pass the 3V0-624 exam.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Data Center Virtualization Deploy
For this certification, you need to know the ways of deploying and optimizing VMware vSphere infrastructures. The 3V0-21.20 test will evaluate your skills in leveraging best practices of the virtualization platform for your company.
- VMware Certified Design Expert – Data Center Virtualization
This expert-level certification is proof of your knowledge and skills in delivering true business value and performing highly professional VMware enterprise deployments. To get it, you need to have certain certificates and badges and complete the required practical tasks.
- VMware Certified Associate – Digital Business Transformation
This is an additional option that validates your skills and knowledge of using virtualization concepts and the ways they drive a digital agenda of an enterprise. The path proves that you are familiar with VMware technologies and products, VMware Cloud Foundation, and Cross-Cloud Architecture solutions that include vRealize Suite, NSX, vSAN, and vSphere. The prerequisite exam is 1V0-701.
2. Cloud Management and Automation (CMA)
This track measures your skills in installing VMware vRealize as well as configuring and optimizing it for your Cloud solution. Each option requires different tasks to fulfill depending on your background. The certifications you can go for include the following:
- VMware Certified Professional – Cloud Management and Automation
As with all the other certifications from this track, the way to obtain this one depends on your skill set and certificates that you may already have. All in all, you will need to complete certain tasks, attend courses, and take the exams. The path will evaluate your ability to install and configure a VMware vRealize environment to automate the key processes within your Data Center.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Cloud Management and Automation Design
You need to be able to design vRealize Automation solutions and integrate them if you want to earn this certificate. You will get a deep understanding of Cloud management design methodologies and principles.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Cloud Management and Automation Deploy
With this certificate, you will be able to prove that you are a professional who can deploy data center environments and optimize them with the use of the tools that are provided by vRealize Automation.
- VMware Certified Design Expert – Cloud Management and Automation
If you become a certified expert in this domain, you will be able to design, plan, and integrate world-class VMware vSphere, vCloud Management, and Automation solutions as well as drive true business value through the VMware Cloud Management platforms.
3. Security VCP-SEC (SEC)
The key skill set that you need for this track includes your understanding of VMware security solutions and your ability to provide support for the security features of different VMware products, which include VMware Carbon Black Cloud, Workspace ONE, and NSX-T Data Center. You can opt for the following options:
- VMware Certified Technical Associate – Security
Your main task will be to provide entry-level security support for VMware products. You can do this after acing the 1V0-81.20 exam.
- VMware Certified Professional – Security
This certificate requires one’s professional-level knowledge of VMware's security solutions and ability to administer VMware products. If you clear the 2V0-81.20 test, you will obtain this certification.
4. Network Virtualization (NV)
This track is all about the VMware NSX environment and the ways of managing, implementing, and designing it. The path consists of the following certificates:
- VMware Certified Technical Associate – Network Virtualization
If you know the NSX terminology, are able to perform navigation of the NSX graphical user interfaces, and know how to identify the business needs and use cases for the VMware NSX platform, you can opt for this certification. You will only need to pass the 1V0-41.20 test to prove that you are eligible for it.
- VMware Certified Professional – Network Virtualization
The path validates that you have all the required skills to transform the economics of security and network operations for your organization. After passing the 2V0-41.20 test or fulfilling the needed tasks depending on your skill set and technical background, you will be able to get the certification that will prove your knowledge of how to configure, administer, and install NSX virtual networking implementations.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Network Virtualization Deployment
Knowing how to optimize and deploy the VMware NSX environment is critical if you want to pass the 3V0-643 test and obtain the certificate.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Network Virtualization Design
The 3V0-42.20 test will prove that you are able to gather customer information, taking into consideration all the requirements, assumptions, and constraints, dealing with risks, as well as using this information to design recommendations for the NSX-T Data Center solutions.
- VMware Certified Design Expert – Network Virtualization
This expert-level option will verify your skills in using NSX 6.x, vSphere, and VMware NSX-platform-based data center networking infrastructure. The task you need to deal with depends completely on your background, skills, and certifications that you have.
5. Digital Workspace (DW)
Your ability to configure, manage, deploy, maintain, troubleshoot, and optimize VMware Workspace ONE and its related solutions will define whether you will be able to get one of the following certifications or not:
- VMware Certified Professional – Desktop and Mobility
Your main task here is to know how to manage VMware Horizon with the View environment that is deployed on VMware vSphere implementation. You also need to know how to perform in-depth configuration and manage the VMware Horizon environments. The exam you should complete is 2V0-51.19.
- VMware Certified Professional – Digital Workspace
For this certification, you need to be able to deploy, optimize, and troubleshoot VMware Workspace ONE as well as identify any needed supporting components and products. The 2V0 61.20 test is what you have to deal with for this path.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Desktop and Mobility Design
The certificate requires that you pass the 3V0-752 exam to validate your skills in integrating and designing the large-scale VMware Horizon environments.
- VMware Certified Advanced Professional – Desktop and Mobility Deployment
You should know the ways to optimize and deploy the VMware Horizon environments if you want to pass the 3V0-653 or 3V0-51.20 exams and get the certificate.
- VMware Certified Design Expert – Desktop and Mobility
If you want to become an expert in this domain, you need to have the enterprise-class expertise in performing VMware Workspace ONE and VMware Horizon 7 implementation and design. Depending on your knowledge base, you will need to clear certain tasks.
6. Application Modernization (AM)
This track has only one option that is the Spring Certified Professional certification, which is designed to validate your knowledge of the core aspects of Spring and Spring Boot. It requires your full understanding of the content and the completion of the official training course and the prerequisite exam.
VMware Certification Advantages
All of these certifications expand your knowledge and hone your skills, which many IT firms find very attractive when it comes to employment. One of the most positive aspects of VMware is its multiple technology areas with different certificates to get. So, whatever path you prefer, there is an ideal VMware certification for you and your dreams. This means that you will surely find a job you want. Thus, you can become a Virtual Server Administrator, a SAN Administrator, an IT Network Administrator, an Infrastructure Operations Engineer, and an Operational Technologist. The average salary that you can earn depending on your choice and skill base can range from $74,650 to $93,797 per year.